Your safety is important to us, so please review HG&E's general gas safety tips. Contact us if you have any questions.
Gas Leak Safety
If you smell gas, report it immediately by calling HG&E at (413) 536-9335.
- Do not turn on or off any lights, electronics, appliances, etc.
- Do not use the telephone or your cell phone in your home
- Be sure to put out any cigarettes or open flames
- If inside, get outside immediately. If outside, distance yourself away from the scent of gas and call HG&E from a cell phone or a neighbor’s home.
Gas Meter Safety
It is important for the safety of our meter readers and technicians, as well as for the operation of your gas meter, that the area around your meter is kept free of overgrown brush and obstacles.
Here are a few guidelines that will keep your meter easily accessible and safe:
- During the winter, keep your meter free of snow and ice. An icy build-up caused by water leaking from an eavestrough, freezing rain or melting piled snow could damage its fittings and pipes causing leaks. A gas meter covered in snow or ice can also impede its function of controlling the gas pressure, which could lead to serious risks.
- Use a broom or brush to remove snow, do not try to scrape your meter with a sharp instrument or kick it to break off ice. And be careful not to bump your meter with a snow blower.
- Do not tie your pets to your meter or gas piping; it could break and become a safety hazard. Also, please ensure your pets are not running loose or blocking access to your meter; even the friendliest pet may bite if it regards the meter reader as a stranger.
- Do not hang things from or lean things on your meter or gas piping.
- Building permanent structures such as decks, porches, or walls around the meter set can create emergency access problems.
- If you anticipate a problem providing access during a certain period (for example, because of home renovations or repairs), please contact HG&E to make a suitable alternative arrangement.
Scratch & Sniff Brochure (see translated versions below)
- Arabic Translation
- Chinese Translation
- French Translation
- Italian Translation
- Portuguese Translation
- Russian Translation
- Spanish Translation
- Thai Translation
- Vietnamese Translation
Public Awareness Brochure (see translated versions below)